Pages

Tuesday, April 26, 2011

April 26th, Surgery Day...

This is the effects of a drug administered in pre-op to calm the children before IV's are placed.  This is since mommy and daddy can't come back to assure the chile... If you can't tell, she is completely relaxed!
This is before the medicine and she looks fine.  A bit tired and hungry, but otherwise, fine. 

Then she got loopy!  Very giggly and kissed her doll baby, over, and over, and over!

Then she kissed mommy and was a bit wobbly-bobbly!  Then she was whisked away by the anesthesia team and went to la-la land.

Following a Bronchoscope and Laryngoscope, she came out of anesthesia and was NOT, let me repeat, NOT happy!  I couldn't calm her and they said this is normal!  She was MAD and CONFUSED.  I asked if I could give her a bottle and did and got her settled with all her babies, a pacifier, her swaddle blanket, the ERGO, and the continuos Shhh, shhh, shhh and then I asked what was next and they checked her breathing (finally normal), her heart rhythms (finally normal) and I signed the papers with instructions and they said, "You can go home".  Really?!  Thank goodness we didn't have to stay over-night!  Wonderful!  As soon as she was dressed we flew out the door and into fresh air and the momentum of the stroller and being outside was so refreshing!  She was fastened in her seat and out in no time!  Mouth open to catch flies and drooling, I didn't move her to get Taylor, but she promptly awoke, obviously anxious to see her brother and get home to lunch and a nap.  The day is going quite in our favor!  I couldn't ask for more!  

And drum roll please:  The ENT who preformed her surgery said there is NO vocal chord paralysis, and there is improvement in the movement from what they viewed last time at 3 months old.  She still has brochiotrachealarygomalacia but they typically don't see that improve until around 18 months.  Again, that is a softened/floppy airway which interferes with normal function of the vocal and swallowing areas.    So, all in all, good news!  Maybe she will improve on her own with feedings and by 18 months forego the surgery because she is just improved so much you have no need to check!  Heaven knows we have come so far!  Now, all we have to do is go to Speech Therapy for some new methods on how to help Reagan get stronger and do what is normal for her age in the swallow department.  So, here is to yet another clinic and new doctors on that front!  Stay tuned for news on that.  Happy reading!

0 comments:

Post a Comment