We recently went for another Barium Swallow Study. We wanted to verify whether or not mommy was right to continue with her thickener in fluids. To bring you up to speed, the last study was done in February, 2012. The report said that we could place R on thin liquids with no added thickener. Following orders I discarded all thickner for a good while. Meanwhile, she would still choke and there were a couple of periods where she didn't want to consume any liquids at all. She started having a wet sound all of the time and she wouldn't ever cough. I decided to once again put her on the thickner, but didn't use it with milk or smoothies. I hoped to not hear any residual fluids clicking when she spoke. I didn't know how to tell the difference if she was sick or just wet from drinking. Anyway, the test just performed last week confirmed that she was still penetrating and to keep R on a nectar consistency. They said that it wouldn't be something she needed for the rest of her life, but that with therapy and other tests we might have more answers to why she still needs thickener. Our next step is to find ENT for peds here in San Antonio and see if we might get more answers and avoid going back and forth with diagnosis. Otherwise, R is doing great and is happy we are done with the swallow study! It was no fun and she was hungry and thirsty and what they gave her was disgusting! She is a trooper.
Saturday, September 29, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)








Bless her heart, I am praying for sweet Reagan! And we've used Dr. Moe, and he was kind. I think there's a shortage of Ped ENTs around here, so it might take awhile to get in..
ReplyDelete